Smoothies

Writer Vanessa Nikolic reccomends putting berries in smoothies, because they're  loaded with antioxidants.

Smoothies are a great way to stay refreshed during hot summer days, are rich in nutrients and delicious. They can be enjoyed for breakfast or in-between meals as a snack or healthy treat. There’s no right or wrong way to make a smoothie. Simply throw some fruits, milk or water and other ingredients into the blender and it will be ready to drink in under a minute. Here are six tasty smoothies to try out this summer.

Triple Berry Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 cup frozen strawberries

• 1 cup frozen raspberries

• 1 cup frozen blackberries

• 1 banana

• ½ cup Greek yogurt

• 1 ¼ cup milk of choice

Instructions:

Pour milk into the blender and add all other ingredients. Blend on high until fully mixed and smooth. Add more milk if desired. Serve cold.

Berries are great in smoothies because they’re loaded with antioxidants, high in fiber and help fight inflammation. Greek yogurt is also an excellent source of calcium and is proven to improve bone health.

Avocado Kale Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 ¼ cup coconut water

• 2 cups kale leaves

• ½ cup avocado

• 1 frozen banana

• 2 teaspoons lime juice

Instructions:

Add coconut water into blender. Then, put in kale leaves, avocado, frozen banana and lime juice. Place lid and blend until smooth. Serve cold.

This smoothie is a great way to sneak in those greens without being overwhelmed by the taste of kale. Avocado makes a huge texture difference and it’ll leave the smoothie thicker than others

Tropical Smoothie

Ingredients:

• ½ frozen banana

• ½ cup mango (fresh or frozen)

• ½ of a peeled orange

• ½ cup pineapple (fresh or frozen)

• 1 cup unsweetened milk (any kind)

• ½ cup unsweetened Greek yogurt

• ½ cup of ice (not needed if using frozen mango and pineapples)

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients together in the blender. Keep blender on until smooth. Add a splash of milk if smoothie is too thick. Serve right away.

A tropical smoothie is sunshine in a glass and tastes like summer. The different fruit juices blend nicely together to satisfy the taste buds. It’ll make one feel like they’re on a beach no matter where they’re sipping on it.

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 2 cups frozen sliced bananas

• 2 tablespoons peanut butter

• 1 cup milk of choice

• ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• ½ tablespoon ground flax seeds (optional)

Instructions:

Pour all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and thoroughly mixed. Serve cold and enjoy.

This smoothie is a great post-workout treat. Peanut butter is a good source of protein and bananas are full of potassium and high in fiber. It’ll leave one full for a longer time. Adding flax seeds is recommended because they’re high in omega-3 fatty acids and improve cholesterol levels.

Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cups pomegranate juice

• 1 ¼ cups blueberries

• 2 tablespoons honey

• ¾ cup Greek yogurt

• 1 ½ cups ice

Instructions

Pour ice into the blender and add the pomegranate juice over it. Then, put the blueberries, honey and Greek yogurt into the blender as well. Turn on high and blend until smooth. Serve right away.

Blueberries and pomegranates are great sources of antioxidants. Blueberries are low in calories but high in nutrients, and pomegranates have impressive anti-inflammatory effects. Both fruits come together to create a superfood masterpiece.

Peach Smoothie

Ingredients:

• 5 ounces of vanilla yogurt

• 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen peaches

• ¾ cup milk of choice

• ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

• ½ cup crushed ice

• ½ teaspoon sugar (adjust sweetness to preference)

Instructions:

Place ice into the blender and pour milk over it. Then add the peaches, yogurt, cinnamon and sugar, if desired. Turn machine on and blend until smooth and creamy. Serve cold.

Peaches are juicy and add a sweet flavor to this smoothie. A hint of cinnamon works well with the peaches and adds an extra kick to this tasty drink.

Contact Vanessa Nikolic at nikolivx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.