You are the owner of this article.

Seven last-minute Halloween snacks to get your spook on

• 4 min to read

As college students, we’re always looking for ways to make food and snacks for a small price tag. With Halloween approaching, there are plenty of ways to serve spooky treats without digging too deep into the bank account. One could simply fill a bowl with different types of candy or buy pre-made caramel apples to put out. These snacks will impress guests, becoming the talk of the party — all for under $40.

Halloween Candy Bark

Candy Bark 2.jpg

This colorful concoction is a tasty mix of simple ingredients. For those who enjoy white chocolate over traditional milk chocolate, Halloween candy bark can become a party favorite.

Ingredients:

• 24 ounces of white chocolate

• Purple, green and orange food coloring

• Two tablespoons of Halloween-colored sprinkles

Instructions:

Put 24 ounces of white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for one minute. Stir every 30 seconds and add more time if needed to completely melt the chocolate.

Place parchment paper covering a baking sheet. Then pour the melted white chocolate onto the parchment paper. Spread the chocolate out so it’s about one-fourth of an inch thick. Next, put one drop of purple, green and orange food coloring evenly spaced onto the white chocolate. Drag a toothpick through the food coloring to create a pattern of swirls. Lastly, dust the chocolate with Halloween colored sprinkles and refrigerate for 20 minutes to let it set.

Dracula Dentures

Dracula Dentures.jpg

For a freshly baked, gory snack to get into the spirit of Halloween, try Dracula Dentures. These “bloody” teeth may look frightening but are delicious.

Ingredients:

• One tube of chocolate chip cookie dough

• One container of vanilla frosting

• Red food coloring

• One bag of mini marshmallows

Instructions:

First, follow the baking instructions on the chocolate chip cookies to make them. Once they’ve cooled down, cut them in half. Next, put a few drops of red food coloring into the vanilla frosting and stir until it’s completely mixed. Spread a layer of frosting onto bottom half of the cookies. Lastly, cover one half of each cookie with mini marshmallows to give the illusion of teeth and place the remaining half of each cookie on top.

Pumpkin Patch Pudding

Pudding Pumpkin Patch 2.jpg

This chocolatey delight brings a whole new look to the pumpkin patch. This snack is easy to make, fun to eat and perfect for carrying around a party without making a mess.

Ingredients:

• Two packs of four chocolate pudding cups

• One pack of white creme-filled Oreo cookies

• One container of vanilla icing

• Green food dye

• Pumpkin candy corn

Instructions:

Separate each Oreo and save eight creme-filled halves. Remove the creme from all other Oreo pieces so only the chocolate cookies are left. Then, put the remaining cookie pieces into a blender and blend them until they’re finely crumbled and have a dusty constancy.

Put a few drops of green food dye into the vanilla icing and stir until it’s completely mixed. Then, spoon the icing into a plastic Ziploc bag and seal it. Cut off a tiny corner of the bag to create an icing pipe.

Open all the pudding cups and cover the tops with the blended Oreo pieces. Next, take each creme-filled Oreo half and place them into one corner of each pudding cup to create a moon. Put two pumpkin candy corn pieces on top of the crushed Oreo. Lastly, pipe icing on top of the pumpkins to look like vines in a pumpkin patch.

Reese’s Peanut Butter Bats

Reese's Bats 2.jpg

For peanut butter lovers, guests will go batty for these scrumptious snacks. For another taste with an added flavor, try using Nutella as a spread instead.

Ingredients:

• One bag of mini REESE’S Peanut Butter Cups

• Oreos

• Peanut butter

• Candy eyes

First, separate each Oreo and remove the creme from each piece. Then, cut each Oreo half into halves again. Next, spread peanut butter or Nutella on the top of each Reese. Place two Oreo pieces on the peanut butter coating to create wings. Lastly, spread peanut butter or Nutella onto the back of each candy eye and place up to three eyes between the wings.

Halloween Marshmallow Pops

Marshmallow Pops 4.jpg

Gooey marshmallow pops uphold the spooky vibe of any event. Guests will be munching on these giant chocolate-coated creations all night.

Ingredients:

• One bag of Campfire Giant Roaster Marshmallows

• Oreos

• 16 ounces of milk or dark chocolate

• Assorted Halloween-themed sprinkles

Instructions:

Separate each Oreo and remove the creme from each piece. Put the cookie pieces into a blender and blend them until they’re finely crumbled.

Put 16 ounces of milk or dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for one minute. Stir it every 30 seconds and add more time if needed to completely melt the chocolate.

Use parchment paper to line a baking sheet. Put one decorative stick into each marshmallow. Next, take one marshmallow and dip it half way into the melted chocolate. Then, dip the bottom of the marshmallow into a bowl of crushed Oreos. Lastly, spoon Halloween-themed sprinkles onto the remaining melted chocolate of the marshmallow.

Place it onto the baking sheet and repeat the process with each marshmallow pop. Then place the sheet of pops in the refrigerator for five minutes to allow the chocolate coating to set.

Mummy Dogs

Mummy Dogs 2.jpg

Mummy Dogs are a haunting twist on classic pigs in a blanket. They are a simple way to satisfy a more savory flavor rather than sweet.

Ingredients:

One pack of crescent rolls

• One pack of hot dogs

• Ketchup

• Candy eyes

Instructions:

Unpackage the crescent rolls and slice into thin strands. An efficient way to do this is by using a pizza cutter rather than a knife. Then, unpackage the hotdogs and cut them in half to create two shorter pieces.

Next, roll each half of the hotdogs into multiple thinly sliced crescent roll strands, only covering half of the hot dog. Then, use one strand to make a small hat at the top of the hot dog, leaving a small section uncovered by dough.

Use tinfoil to cover a baking sheet and place each mummy dog about one inch apart. Bake them according to the instructions on the crescent roll package. Once they are cooked, let them cool for about 5 minutes. Put a dab of ketchup on the back of each candy eye and place two onto to each bare part of the hot dog.

Monster Jaws

Monster Jaws.jpg

Halloween is full of sugary sweets and some may enjoy a healthier option. Apples, almonds, and peanut butter in Monster Jaws make an appetizing alternative.

Ingredients:

• Quarter apple slices

• Candy eyes

• Slivered almonds

• Peanut butter or Nutella

Instructions:

Cut each apple into quarter pieces. Then, cut a smaller slice out of each quarter to look like a mouth, but make sure not to cut all the way through the quarter. Next, slice the slivered almonds into sharper pieces to make teeth.

Carefully stick about 10 slivered almonds into the upper and lower part of the mouth of each apple. Lastly, coat the back of each candy eye with peanut butter or Nutella. Put up to three eyes on the top half of the mouth.

Contact Traci Rasdorf at rasdortl@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.