white gold.jpg

As the series continues, it’s soon learned that the characters haven’t changed in the slightest.

Vincent Swan, Martin Lavender and Brian Fitzpatrick, the cunning trio of businessmen for Cachet windows, are more deceitful than in season 1 of “White Gold.” Together, the three tackle even more responsibility and manage to get themselves into more trouble than they were capable of before.

At the end of season 1, “White Gold” provided several cliffhangers to continue with another season. Between affairs, new budding romances and several money scams, season 2 begins with a positive energy that brings hope the three businessmen have shaped up and are no longer cunningly selling cheap windows for high prices.

As the series continues, it’s soon learned that they haven’t changed in the slightest.

Swan, played by Ed Westwick, who’s best known for his role as Chuck Bass in “‘Gossip Girl,’” still manages both Lavender (Joe Thomas) and Fitzgerald (James Buckley). After the termination of Tony Walsh (Nigel Lindsay), the head of Cachet Windows, he’s replaced by Ronnie Farrell (Lee Ross), another charming businessman.

Swan winds up owing Farrell 50,000 pounds, and until he pays him back, Farrell forces Swan to work under him. Farrell runs a seemingly worse business than Walsh, further proven when Walsh opens a new Windows store called W-Windows that quickly begins gaining popularity and business. Season 2 centers around the feud between the companies and the workers’ relationships.

Though the series is a comedy, the second season’s efforts to be humor were superior to season 1. Two new salesmen join the three men, Joanne Scott (Rachel Shenton) and Ronnie Junior (Theo Barklem-Biggs), who’s Farrell’s incompetent son. Together, the group of five and Cachet’s secretary, Carol (Lauren O’Rourke), bring more conflict and humor.

The new season offers a more in-depth storyline of each character’s personal life. After Swan’s affair with his son’s school teacher, season 2 focused on rekindling his broken relationship with wife, Sam Swan (Linzey Cocker). Although things start well in the beginning, they eventually run into several complications as both Swans have obvious feelings for other people.

During their complications in season 1, Sam began seeing Lavender, the man who works with her husband. Sam and Vincent’s attempt to rebuild their relationship is blocked by her and Lavender’s apparent tension and unresolved emotions. On the other hand, Vincent Swan has another affair with Scott, a worker at his competing company.

Fitzpatrick’s high school sweetheart, Maureen, often referred to as “Thyroid” because of a thyroid issue she has, left him for a woman she met at the gym. Fitzpatrick learns to handle watching his wife be with someone else and begins catching feelings for secretary Carol.

After the release of the first season of “White Gold” in 2017, filming for season 2 came to a brief halt when sexual assault allegations were released against Ed Westwick. Two women accused him of rape and another accused him of sexual assault. The case wasn’t followed up on due to insufficient evidence, which led them to begin filming in November 2018.

Although season 2 was superiorly funny to season 1, the humor sometimes contains themes of vulgar and demeaning topics. The series constantly adds new conflicting plotlines, which makes the show interesting, but can lead to confusion. Overall, “White Gold” has plenty of content to create a series, but tends to get messy because of how much is going on.

Contact Joanna Sommer at sommerjj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.