Megan Thee Stallion

Stallion demands respect in "B.I.T.C.H." in preparation for a full-fledged album, "Suga."

To say that Texas rapper and singer Megan Thee Stallion dominated 2019 would be a laughable understatement.

In the span of roughly a year, this multi-talented artist has become what can only be called a cultural force, whether it was for the sensation known as “hot girl summer” or through chart-topping albums such as 2018’s “Tina Snow” or 2019’s “Fever.” Fans can almost always count on Stallion to come with unmatched, empowering energy through her attention-demanding voice and flow combined with her melodic talent.

Last Friday, after just coming off the success of her new single titled “Diamonds” with singer Normani the previous week, Stallion released her new solo single, titled “B.I.T.C.H.” After just one listen, it’s apparent that Stallion intents on keeping her success train going well into this new year.

Since blowing up in the music industry, people have criticized Stallion’s sexual behavior and presence in hip-hop culture, stating that she’s just another female rapper “that raps about the same things,” like Jermaine Dupri stated last summer in an interview with People Magazine when talking about the state of female rappers. This track, to simply put it, is the perfect way of stating how little Stallion cares about these comments and how satisfied she is with who she is, regardless of what any boyfriend or critic has to say.

The song opens up on a somewhat quiet note with Stallion saying, “It ain't always about what you like; sometimes, it's about what's right.” After those words, the beat kicks off along with the chorus, and it's immediately catchy and infectious. The production is nothing new for Stallion, but it doesn’t matter considering how perfectly her rapping blends into this beautifully mixed beat.

When it comes to subject matters in Stallion’s music, arguments can be made about how she can be one-dimensional and predictable at times. But, “B.I.T.C.H.” offers some more reflective and personal thoughts from the superstar with some breakup elements turning up in the song. 

The lyrics are where this single truly shines, building on the themes expressed previously. Quotables and Stallion are synonymous, and “B.I.T.C.H.” is a prime example of this. Lines like, “Since you wanna test them waters, might as well jump in with both feet,” land so perfectly and are sure to put a smile on listeners’ faces. Others, such as, “But it's 2020, I ain't finna argue 'bout twerkin’,” add to Stallion’s emphasis on sexual empowerment on the majority of her tracks, which makes the single all the more appealing.

Stallion has combined melodic singing with solid rapping on a grand majority of her past songs, which has helped her gain traction in the music industry. But, the melodic elements of this track come up somewhat short. Her harmonizing and singing in the background of the rapping don’t add much to the overall sound and sometimes come off as half-hearted. While it doesn’t ruin the overall enjoyment of the song itself, it’s something that could’ve been hammered out better on Stallion’s end.

It’s been officially announced that the title of Stallion’s upcoming album will be “Suga,” as reported by HipHopDX.com. It is named after a new persona that’s following up “Tina Snow” and “Hot Girl Meg.” If “B.I.T.C.H.” is a sample of what’s to come on this new project, it’s safe to say Stallion will be delivering to her fans a collection of quality tracks once again. The track truly is a great addition to her list of catchy singles and is sure to keep fans in stitches until her next release.

Contact Julian Denizard at denizajs@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.