lilpeep

Lil Peep passed away last year on Nov. 15 due to an accidental drug overdose.

Lil Peep’s long-awaited posthumous album and follow up to his debut album “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 1” was released on November 9. Before and since Peep’s passing last November, he’s been considered a pioneer in the “emo-rap” subgenre, combining elements of trap and emo rock in his music.

His fusions of singing and rapping throughout his songs further add to the uniqueness of his style. However, when executing this concept on “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 2,” it leaves much to be desired and becomes a chore to stay invested in.

Part one was released roughly a year ago while he was alive and featured melodramatic lyrics backed by a combination of basic trap beats and guitar riffs. Very little changes on “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt 2” and the changes made aren’t positive ones.

Peep’s vocals sound much weaker and dull on this project, which is a huge disadvantage to him considering much of his music revolves around mental health, addiction and depression. His delivery does little to convey a sense of true emotion or feeling when diving into these topics.

At best, Peep voice sounds strained and at its worst, it sounds unbearably whiney and melodramatic. He attempts to emulate the sounds of rock bands such as Green Day or Linkin Park, but his weak vocals are so drowned in autotune that it becomes insufferable at times.

An artist who touches on the topics such as mental health would expectantly have in-depth lyrics relating to their own experiences to appeal to the emotions of listeners. However, Lil Peep’s lyrics do not leave a strong impression on listeners.

On songs such as “White Girl,” he spins a tale of drug addiction in a failing relationship. His lyrics attempt to put a sexy veil over the struggles he’s facing, with lines such as “told her: ‘baby, I'm the type to get faded’ and I know that she like that I'm famous (you love it). I ain't trying to make this shit complicated (nah) we only came because we both getting naked.”

Backed with Peep’s flawed vocals, the whole concept of a song and its intention just falls flat. The same can be applied to “Sex with My Ex,” where Peep links his depression to his love life to create a sort of glitzy and alluring situation that simply fails to evoke any sort of meaningful emotional response. 

Thankfully, this album does not overstay its welcome, with its runtime only being 44 minutes with 13 songs. Those songs all blend together when the lyrics and production do little to stand out from each other. The album’s last two songs do break up the monotony of Peep’s voice with two features from XXXTentacion and ILoveMakkonen. While XXXTentacion does share of the same flaws Lil Peep possesses when it comes to songwriting, one cannot deny the chemistry they have on the song “Falling Down.”

Both present themselves as tortured souls, so this collaboration works for the most part. While ILoveMakkonen does bring a unique vocal style that includes some interesting vocal inflections to “Sunlight On Your Skin,” it clashes with Peep’s style. It doesn’t help that this last song is simply an extension of the beat in “Falling Down,” with the same chorus and song structure.

Overall, Lil Peep’s “Come Over When You’re Sober, Pt. 2” fails to stand out in any way and proves to be a shallow puddle of emotions when it comes to lyricism and production. While he does possess his own style and owns that style, his combination of emo and trap rap makes for a product that isn’t inventive and doesn’t go deep enough.

Contact Julian Denizard at denizajs@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.