"Like a Boss"

Tiffany Haddish, Salma Hayek and Rose Byrne star in "Like A Boss."

Rose Byrne and Tiffany Haddish team up in the new comedy movie “Like a Boss.” The film includes many funny moments and uplifting messages for women, such as the importance of loving what one looks like and the meaning of friendship.

Mel (Byrne) and Mia (Haddish) have been best friends since middle school and run a small business selling homemade cosmetics with their own store as adults. Unfortunately, the company started to go into debt and might have to close for good. The girls are suddenly approached by independent business women Clarie Luna (Salma Hayek), who wants to invest and co-own a percentage of their company. Her proposal causes tension between the two best friends and creates new issues that may put the business in jeopardy.

As the movie continues, the storyline becomes more predictable. It’s a film about two life-long friends, so it follows a typical “best friends” movie formula. The casting is also predictable. The aggressive and tough friend is played by Haddish, while Byrne plays the quieter and more laid-back one. Billy Porter and Jennifer Coolidge are the two employees at Mel and Mia’s shop, and their roles are a bit obvious. One thing that stands out is how Coolidge’s character is similar to her role in “Legally Blonde” as Paulette Bonafontté.

There are also some memorable messages. Whenever the two friends describe the company, their response always revolves around the idea of self beauty. Whenever they present any of their homemade products, they use colors that include more natural tones instead of crazy artificial shades. They want all their customers to feel beautiful as themselves, and the two use simple looks when demonstrating their makeup line to potential clients. In reality, most cosmetic brands promote the idea that using products makes girls look beautiful, while other companies — like in the film — want people to use their products to highlight their natural beauty, which is a message that women likely want to hear.

Another theme it emphasizes is the importance of friendship. Mel and Mia have been friends since they were kids and built their company when they were in high school. As adults, the two live in the same house and have opened an actual store to sell their products. Mia continually refers to dark moments from her past and how Mel was the only person she felt comfortable going to whenever she needed someone. The company’s potential expansion causes some issues, but the pair keeps trying to work things out. For example, when they need to pitch an idea to Luna for her launch party, they go back and forth while brainstorming.

Haddish and Byrne have both starred in comedies separately. Their independent work often makes viewers laugh, so it’s amusing to witness how the actresses work as co-stars. Haddish is known to have plenty of on- and off-screen attitude, while Byrne is known to be a more reserved actress. The difference between the personalities is a great match and adds more humor to the movie. 

“Like a Boss” isn’t an award-winning film, but it’s the perfect girls’ night out movie when coming back to school. It has many relatable moments for women, and there are a number of jokes. However, most of the comedic touches are crude and involve offensive language. There are many scenes where the friends use marijuana, which is unexpected. Despite this, it’s a fun film and perfectly portrays the idea of women helping women.

Contact Gracie Brogowski at brogowsx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.