Katy Perry

The single is a strong new beginning for Perry, and hopefully, it’ll pave the way for even more catchy, fun and danceable music for the summer.

People wondered if she’d ever come back with good music. She finally did.

On Friday, Katy Perry dropped “Never Really Over,” the breakup anthem listeners never knew they needed. After the first listen, it may give off that generic pop sound Zedd is known for, but after a few more plays, it’s catchy, upbeat and even a little emotional. It’s one of those songs that gets stuck in the head. The single was released as a music video and began trending on YouTube just hours after it hit the Internet.

The new single is Perry’s first since she released her 2017 studio album, “Witness,” which contains some of her least popular music. On social media, she announced she was coming out with new music just three days before its release, which was a pleasant surprise for her followers and fans.

Through her lyrics, Perry conveys hopeful emotions regarding a two-year breakup. It deals with the possibility of getting back together with an ex despite the chance of the relationship falling apart all over again. She admits she’s losing control of her lingering feelings, singing, “But once in a while, I trip up, and I cross the line / And I think of you.” It’s possible she could be referring to her on-and-off relationship with Orlando Bloom.

In the chorus, it feels like Perry is reciting the anxious thoughts going through her head. With lyrics, “Just because it’s over doesn’t mean it’s really over / And if I think it over, maybe you’ll be coming over again,” she clings onto the hope that her partner will come back to her. These lyrics reflect a recurring thought that runs through the heads of anyone who’s experienced a difficult breakup. Perry realizes that hope can be a dangerous thing.

The song ends with “I guess it’s never really over,” signifying that Perry is trapped in this on-and-off romance even though she knows the relationship can never go back to the way it was.

Perry’s feelings for her partner take away from her own self-love, which is hinted at in the colorful, therapy-themed music video. The two most memorable elements are the appearance of heart-shaped imagery and how certain therapy methods, like acupuncture and cupping, are implemented throughout.

In the beginning, the viewer may get Alice in Wonderland vibes from her light blue denim jumpsuit and butter-colored wig. The lyrics that go with these scenes of Perry in her Alice attire match perfectly: “Yeah, you’re starting to trickle back in / But I don’t wanna fall down the rabbit hole.”

The setting is a self-help retreat, and Perry is seen doing bizarre dance moves with background dancers adorned with flowy orange and blue outfits. In one scene, Perry is wrapped in chains with big pink hearts at the end, literally showing that she’s trapped. In another, her face is undergoing acupuncture with hearts on the ends of needles.

The video has a good dose of summer vibes. In many scenes, Perry is outdoors in an open field. There’s also a warm filter on the video that may remind one of a summer fashion magazine cover.

It was a good idea to release “Never Really Over” as a music video because it helped set the mood and tone for the song. The single is a strong new beginning for Perry, and hopefully, it’ll pave the way for even more catchy, fun and danceable music for the summer. In all honesty, nothing can beat her throwbacks, but there’s always a chance the pop star will come up with another iconic hit.

Contact Kailey Cheng at thebreezeculture@gmail.com. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.

Kailey is a SMAD and WRTC double major. As an avid feature writer, she makes sure to leave no stone unturned when searching for the coolest stories in the 'Burg.