pride month

With pride being a month-long event, adding pride-based decor to one’s house could be a way to celebrate.

Although the pandemic is keeping many people at home, it can’t prevent them from celebrating love and joy.

Every June, the LGBTQ community takes the entire month to celebrate the right to love who one wants. Different cities, such as Harrisonburg, hold pride festivals and parades to honor pride month. However, most pride events have been canceled or postponed to later this year due to quarantine. Instead of enjoying these types of events publicly, here are some alternative ways to celebrate pride.

Virtual pride party

It may be more fun to enjoy pride month with friends, so having a virtual pride party would be the ideal solution to not attending a festival or go to a parade. If one was planning on attending an event with other people, they could figure out a time to video chat and do a mini pride celebration. Everyone can wear what they would’ve at the in-person event and play games such as LGBTQ bingo or drag trivia. Some video chatting programs offer a screen sharing option, so one can look on YouTube and find a video of a past pride parade to watch as a group. 

Decorate one’s house

People decorate their houses for several reasons like holidays and seasons. Since pride is a month-long event, adding pride-based decor to one’s house could be a way to celebrate. It can involve hanging a rainbow flag outside, finding tutorials online for do-it-yourself projects to create decorations or using rainbow napkins during the month of June.

Educate oneself on pride

Pride has been celebrated for over 40 years and is generally known as a parade and festival to embrace being a part of the LGBTQ community. However, it’s always interesting to learn more about those large traditions. Since people may have more free time, this year might be an opportunity to learn more about pride month and LGBTQ history, especially for non-LGBTQ people. For those who are part of the LGBTQ community, this is a good chance to talk to others about past experiences.

Purchase LGBTQ pet products and have a photoshoot

Petsmart recently launched “You Are Loved,” a line of toys, pet accessories and outfits that relate to LGBTQ pet owners. These products incorporate the rainbow, and a few of the clothing items have phrases such as “I love my moms” or “I love my dads” printed on them. A pet owner can purchase one or two items and take pictures for social media to show one’s pet’s support.

Watch movies or television shows that Involve the LGBTQ community

In recent years, the entertainment industry has increased the amount of content surrounding the LGBTQ community. If one finds themselves being indecisive on what to watch, Netflix and other streaming services have a variety of films and shows that highlight the LGBTQ culture. Some examples include shows such as “RuPaul’s Drag Race” and “Glee” or movies like “Love, Simon” and “Moonlight.” Netflix also offers an LGBTQ category with shows such as “Queer Eye” and “Pose.”

LGBTQ book club

For people who are looking for a new book to read, this would be an opportunity to pick up an LGBTQ-based book. One can independently read a book or gather a group of friends to read together and discuss it virtually. Many celebrities, such as Hannah Hart and Tyler Oakley, have autobiographies and constantly talk about their experience before and after coming out. There are also fiction books, such as “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda,” that people may enjoy.

These are a few ideas to celebrate pride month. Although it’s not going out with friends to see a parade, one can still do these activities to celebrate who they are.

Contact Gracie Brogowski at brogowsx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Instagram and Twitter @Breeze_Culture.