Woptober 2

“Woptober II” features artists including Megan Thee Stallion, Kodak Black, Quavo, Lil Baby and more.

Gucci Mane’s second album of his “Woptober” project offers insight into his troubled past and promise for a brighter future. The original “Woptober” debuted in 2016, receiving great reviews and high praise from fans and critics. “Woptober II” features artists including Megan Thee Stallion, Kodak Black, Quavo, Lil Baby and more. 

Gucci Mane offered minimal detail about his highly anticipated album by giving minimal details about its release. There was a decent amount of speculation that the album would drop at midnight on Oct.17, which is known as the unofficial holiday for Gucci Mane. Instead, he surprised fans by dropping it at midnight on Oct. 18. In “Woptober II’s” 13 song, and no topic is off-limits. 

The first track, “Richer Than Errybody,” featuring DaBaby and Youngboy Never Broke Again, kicks off the album in typical Gucci style. The lyrics are clever, boasting his criminal past and ability to make fast money. There’s a blend of all the featured artists throughout the song, creating an exciting start to the album. “Richer Than Errybody,” along with “Big Booty” and “Tootsies,” were released throughout this week in anticipation for the new album. 

Fellow Atlanta rapper Lil Baby is featured on the track “Tootsies.” The song starts with the rapper’s references to how they’ve boosted their once-tarnished reputations. Both artists flaunt their high-profile statuses by rapping, “just spent twenty-six thousand in Gucci” and “hop out that new Maybach like I come from paper.” Other features on the album include Megan Thee Stallion, who found enormous fame from her hit song, “Hot Girl Summer.” She’s featured on the song “Big Booty,” which showcases her physical assets and Gucci Mane’s preferences when it comes to women and his lifestyle. 

Other notable features include Quavo in “Came From Scratch” and Kodak Black in “Big Boy Diamonds.” Gucci Mane and his featured artists relive their gang ties and talk about the height and success of their careers. Most of the album’s songs reference Gucci Mane’s past affiliation with gangs, drug dealing and other crimes. Both Quavo and Kodak have been longtime business partners and friends with Gucci Mane, and make music together frequently. Having collaborated with each other before, there was room for potential pressure, but both Quavo and Kodak solidly delivered their respective parts, with their typical confidence and passion for music.

Similar to the original “Woptober,” “Move Me” and “Highly Recommended” are reminders of Gucci Mane’s classic lyrics and sound. As for “Wop Longway Takeoff,” featuring Peewee Longway and Takeoff, the artists complement each other well, and it’s one of the more raw songs on the album, as he recalls dangerous memories from his past. He begins by detailing his time as a drug dealer and the exhilarating lifestyle that he experienced during that period of his life. 

The more disappointing songs include “Bucking The System,” featuring Kevin Gates, and “Break Bread.” While the creativity of the song “Bucking the System” and the lyrical allusion to the title, its repetitive chorus of the line, “I'm buckin,” is irritatingly redundant and distracting from the song. Compared to their last collab on Gucci’s album, “Evil Genius,” this song is forgettable and seems like it didn’t achieve its full potential. As for “Break Bread,” Gucci Mane’s voice is confusing and it’s hard to recognize him at first with his strange whispering and ragged voice.  

Despite this minor upset, “Woptober II” lives up to its expectations. It’s a consistent album with amazing features and insight into Gucci Mane’s fascinating life. 

Contact Claire Reilly at reillyce@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.