patrick-fore-cider.jpg

Add whipped cream and cinnamon after heating apple cider to make it a comforting fall drink to bring in the holiday season.

If you’re like me, you can’t wait until Thanksgiving to indulge in your favorite fall food. As the holiday season approaches, some may be craving both sweet and savory Thanksgiving treats.

These grocery store items are budget-friendly, simple to make and sure to satisfy any pre-Thanksgiving craving. A short walk through the ALDI market can inspire your inner Thanksgiving chef with flavors of pumpkin, squash, turkey and cranberry, even into the holiday season. Wash it all down with a seasonal apple cider, also found at ALDI.

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls

These pumpkin cinnamon rolls are the perfect option for when one’s craving pumpkin pie. They have an authentic pumpkin spice flavor with just the right amount of sweetness. The dough is fluffy and the icing is gooey, making it perfect for breakfast or dessert.

Ingredients

• 1 can of premade pumpkin roll dough

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place rolls 2 inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Once the rolls are baked, cut the tip of the icing packet with scissors and immediately drizzle the icing over the hot rolls.

Butternut squash soup

This butternut squash soup is perfect for fall. One may add heavy cream and cinnamon to make it a more sweet soup, or they can add sour cream and chives to make it into a savory recipe. This soup is sure to get anyone in the spirit for the holiday season.

Ingredients

• Simply Nature organic butternut squash soup

• Sour cream (optional)

• Chives (optional)

• Cinnamon (optional)

Instructions

Empty contents into a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high for 1-2 minutes. Adjust time as needed. Or, heat on medium in a saucepan, stirring frequently, until the soup is at a desired temperature. Top with sour cream and chives or cinnamon.

Hot apple cider

Turn a cold gallon of apple cider into a deliciously warm and relaxing drink in just 2 minutes, or leave it as is. Fall weather can be unpredictable, and this drink is great for hot or cold days. Add ice to make it into a refreshing juice or add whipped cream and cinnamon after heating to make it a comforting fall drink to bring in the holiday season.

Ingredients

• ALDI apple cider

• Cinnamon (optional)

• Whipped cream (optional)

Instructions

Heat cider in microwave or by stovetop. Add whipped cream. Top with cinnamon.

Turkey and cranberry ravioli 

This meal is perfect for someone who’s craving a Thanksgiving dinner but can't commit to making it. With this recipe, one can have the flavor components of a leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwich in under 10 minutes.

Ingredients

• 1 package of ALDI turkey and cranberry ravioli

• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter

• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

• ½ teaspoon salt

• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• ⅓ cup toasted, chopped walnuts

• ¼ cup grated parmesan

Instructions for ravioli

Boil 4 quarts of water. Add salt to the water. Place raviolis in water and boil for 4-5 minutes.

Instructions for sauce

In a medium saucepan, cook the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the foam subsides and the butter begins to turn golden brown (about 3 minutes), turn off heat. After 1 minute, stir in the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer the ravioli into the sauce then sprinkle the chopped walnuts and parmesan over top.

Sweet Potato Chips

This ALDI snack is good all year round. The texture is crunchy and the taste is salty and sweet, making it the perfect treat. They’re a great alternative to ordinary potato chips and are budget-friendly, making them a favorable option to bring to a friendsgiving. One may pair these with any kind of dip for an even more delicious snack.

Everyone loves Thanksgiving, but we don’t always love the cost and energy it takes to prepare. Sweet and savory treats are an important part of the holiday season, and these options are great for anyone on a budget or anyone who’s just looking to try something new. There’s no better way to spend a chilly day than with a cup of hot apple cider or a bowl of pasta, surrounded by friends and family. 

Contact Madison Stevens at stevenmd@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts, and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Instagram and Twitter @Breeze_Culture.