Ruby's.jpeg

Ruby's Arcade puts on events like bingo, open mic nights, music performances and sometimes has discount day.

The holiday season’s approaching and leaves are falling. Finals are just around the corner, but the Harrisonburg area gives students an outlet to get out and do things. The air might be getting colder, but don’t let the comfort of a warm house take away from all of the fun.

1. People's Blues of Richmond with Vintage Pistol

People's Blues of Richmond (PBR) a “psychedelic blues rock” band, will perform at the Golden Pony, accompanied by rock band Vintage Pistol on Nov. 16. Doors open at 7 p.m. There’ll be refreshments and pub-style food. 

2. Shenandoah Cup Festival

If one wants to enjoy wine and mountain scenery, then they can book a tasting session at the Shenandoah Cup Festival. It’s on Nov. 16 from 12-7 p.m. at Bluestone Vineyard in Bridgewater, Virginia. The wine tasting festival will celebrate Shenandoah Valley wines and victors of the inaugural Shenandoah Cup Competition, which announces medalists and the Cup’s winner. The competition awards wines in the Shenandoah area.The winery currently has about 30 serviceable wines, from refreshing rosé to ciders and collections of rich reds. The venue is child and pet-friendly and has light food available. 

3. Ruby’s Open Mic Night in Harrisonburg

One can’t go wrong with an open mic night in downtown Harrisonburg at Clementine Cafe, which is attached to Ruby’s. The event takes place at 9 p.m. on Nov. 13. One can take their friends out for a good time and get a kick start to the weekend on a Wednesday night.

4. Dancing with the Stars of the 'Burg 2019

At JMU’s Festival Conference and Student Center, members of Dancing with the Stars — Harrisonburg edition — will take the stage. The event begins at 6 p.m. on Nov. 17 with drinks and food. Guests are encouraged to dress in cocktail attire and comfortable shoes to participate in the fun. After the festivities kick off, the show will begin. All the proceeds are given to the Harrisonburg Rockingham Child Day Care Center. A dance party will follow the performance until the night ends.

5. Barre at the Bar

Trying something new is a perfect way to enter the holiday season and the sneakily approaching new year. Breathe at Ice House Studios holds barre classes at the Pale Fire Tap Room. This means exercise and a refreshing beer at the same time. Starting Nov. 17, “Barre at the Bar” will take place one Sunday each month at 10:30 a.m. It’s described as a challenging but fun 55-minute workout. Although this event is limited to 21-year-olds and up, it’s an interesting twist to working out.

Contact Claudia Vigue at viguecl@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.