chicken wing

Chicken wings, or buffalo chicken dip, has been a staple of Super Bowl parties.

Super Bowl Sunday is the day to eat all the junk food there is without feeling guilty. With the big game coming up this weekend, people are heading to the grocery store to whip up some recipes to enjoy. While some people watch the game to cheer on their favorite team, others find themselves most excited for the food.

Whether you’re a Patriots or Rams fan, here are five delicious dishes to indulge in for the Super Bowl.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

Ingredients:

• 1 block of cream cheese

• ¾ cup Frank’s buffalo hot sauce

• 3 stalks of celery, chopped into thin pieces

• Shredded rotisserie chicken (not including wings and legs)

• ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions:

Shred the rotisserie chicken first, then set it aside. Melt one block of cream cheese on a skillet pan. Keep mixing until it’s creamy. Next, stir in the hot sauce and chopped celery. Add in the shredded chicken and mix everything together. Make sure the heat is not high or the cheese will burn. Transfer the mixed ingredients to a baking dish, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Crock Pot Mac and Cheese

Ingredients:

• 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni pasta

• 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded

• 1 cup colby cheese shredded

• 15 oz can cheddar cheese condensed soup

• 2  ¾ cup half and half

• 3 tbsp butter

• ½ tsp ground black pepper

• ½ tsp paprika

Instructions:

Pour the cheddar cheese soup and the half and half in the crock pot and mix until it’s well-blended and smooth. Add in the paprika and black pepper and continue mixing. Pour the uncooked macaroni pasta, half of the shredded cheddar cheese, half of the shredded colby cheese and the butter into the crock pot. Mix everything all together. Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top and do not mix. Close the slow cooker and set it on low. Cook for 3 hours.

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Ingredients:

• 8 oz cream cheese

• 1 ½ cups shredded parmesan cheese

• 16 oz sour cream

• 1 stick unsalted butter

• 14 oz quartered artichoke hearts drained and coarsely chopped

• 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and drained

• 2-3 garlic cloves pressed

• 4 oz can diced jalapeños drained

Instructions:

Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese and butter in a pot over medium heat. Continue to stir until the ingredients are melted. Add in the chopped artichoke hearts, spinach and drained jalapeños, continue to stir. Finally, add in the garlic cloves. Mix until well-blended. Serve the dip warm.

Cilantro Lime Wings

Ingredients for the wings:

• 3 lb. chicken wings

• ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

• Juice of 2 limes

• 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika

• 1 tsp. garlic powder

• 1 tsp. ground cumin

• Kosher salt

• Ground black pepper

Ingredients for the glaze:

• 1 tbsp. hot sauce

• 2 tbsp. honey

• 4 tbsp. butter

• Juice of 1 lime

• 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro

Instructions:

Combine the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, cumin and lime juice in a bowl. Mix thoroughly until well-blended. Throw in the chicken wings and toss until all are fully covered. Put plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Drain the wings. Place the wings on a baking sheet. Set the oven to 425 degrees. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the wings. Bake the wings for 50 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the glaze. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the lime juice, honey and hot sauce. Mix in the cilantro. Once the wings are done, transfer them into a large bowl. Pour the glaze over the wings. Toss the wings until all are fully coated.

Pull-Apart Garlic Bread Pizza Dip

Ingredients:

• 3 cups shredded mozzarella

• 1 cup ricotta

• 2  blocks cream cheese, softened

• 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan

• 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning

• 3/4 cup pizza sauce

• 1 cup mini pepperoni

• 2 (16-oz.) cans refrigerated biscuits

• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

• Kosher salt

• 3 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 tbsp. chopped parsley

Instructions:

Set the oven to 350 degrees. Blend the 2 cups of mozzarella, ricotta, cream cheese, Italian seasoning, ⅓ cup parmesan, salt and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a 9"-x-13" baking dish. Spread pizza sauce on top. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella and pepperoni on top. Cut the biscuits in half, roll them into balls and organize on top of the dip. Stir the oil, parsley and garlic together in another bowl. Spread the mixture onto the biscuits and add 2 tablespoon of parmesan on top. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until biscuits are golden. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the biscuits from the oven and and let it cool before serving.

Contact Vanessa Nikolic at nikolivx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.