Bingo is Life

Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and Brothers How Production will host a game show night on Feb. 29. 

Through the month of love, events are approaching around Harrisonburg that are perfect for any couple, group of friends or individual looking for something new and fun to do. Whether it’s running a race or a holiday wine tasting, the options are vast and worth exploring. 

The Siberian State Symphony Orchestra 

On Feb. 8, The Siberian State Symphony Orchestra  from Krasnoyarsk, Russia will stop in Harrisonburg during its eight-week tour. The conductor, Vladimir Lande, is a winner of the Clef D’Or Global Music Award and will lead the symphony in many famous Russian classics. The event will be held in the Forbes Center for the Performing Arts and begins at 8 p.m. This group is only on tour for a short time, making this event an opportunity that doesn’t come around often. Ticket prices vary but are only $20 for JMU students. 

Rocktown Roller-rama

Rocktown Bikes will host their Rocktown Roller-rama on Friday, Feb. 21. Roller-rama is a race on fixed-geared bikes attached to steel bases that eliminates participants through a bracket system. The top three male and female participants will each be awarded a prize. The event will take place at Three Notch’d Brewery and includes a $10 registration fee. Not only is this a fun and creative way for people to get active, but it’s also a great way to socialize with others and win prizes. 

Sunday Funday

Sunday Funday” is a 1K race hosted by VA Momentum, an organization dedicated to energizing its community. Each participant can run or walk the 0.62-mile race and relax afterward with beverages, brunch and fire pits. The event will take place on Feb. 23 at 10 a.m. and features prizes for winners in fun categories like “Individual on the Course Singing Loudest for All to Hear” and “Largest Group of Friends Running/Walking the Entire 1K with Arms interlocked.” Registration is $15 until Feb. 9, then it goes up to $20 until Feb. 22. This event offers more than the run that doesn’t actually require running. It’ll have food and drinks and provide a relaxed hang-out spot for people looking to exercise or just hang out with friends. 

Wine and Chocolate Tastings

Between Feb. 7-16, Bluestone Vineyard will hold its annual Wine and Chocolate Tastings. It’ll be offering eight wines served with eight locally-made chocolates from Warfels Sweet Shoppe. For those who love wine, chocolate or both, this event is right up their alley. Tastings are $15 per person, and those with eight or more guests must reserve spaces before attending. 

Bingo is Life

Harrisonburg Downtown Renaissance and Brothers How Production, a group responsible for creating the event, will host a game show night called “Bingo is Life” on Saturday, Feb. 29. The event will begin at 7:30 p.m., but the games won’t begin until 8 p.m. Admission is free, and players get the chance to receive any of the $1,000 in prizes that’ll be given away. With rewards and games through the evening, participants will have access to unlimited amounts of fun. 

Contact Joanna Sommer at sommerjj@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.