Dukes in a Blanket

This out of the box dish is sure to be a conversation starter at any Super Bowl party. 

While admittedly strange, this unique twist to the classic game day treat adds JMU pride to Super Bowl Sunday. The recipe yields 12-18 miniature hot dogs, depending on how thin you knead your dough. The color of the bread doesn’t change the delicious buttery and savory flavor of the snack. A bowl of queso to dip and some blue corn chips compliment the blankets well, adding variety in flavor and heat.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tbsp sugar

2 tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

4 tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

½ cup grated cheese

¾ cup buttermilk

½ tsp purple food coloring

18 miniature hot dogs

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400°F and oil a large baking sheet. Place the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.

Rub the butter pieces into the dough until the the mixture has a crumb-like texture. Stir in cheese until evenly mixed.

Pour the purple food coloring into the buttermilk until the color is uniform. Make a well with the mixture and pour the buttermilk inside. Stir with a wooden spoon and let the dough let it sit for three minutes.

Sprinkle some flour on both your counter and the dough. Knead the dough into a 15-by-7-inch rectangle, trimming the edges to ensure the edges and corners are sharp and not rounded. Make sure to knead the dough as little as possible to ensure the bread doesn’t become too chewy.

Using a pizza cutter or ruler, cut the dough into thirds horizontally and vertically. Put the mini rectangles horizontally to make little triangles.

Roll each miniature hot dog in each triangle, starting with the wide end to make a croissant shape. Place the blankets on the baking sheet and bake for 12-13 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the sheet for two minutes and transfer to a plate. Garnish with grated cheese.

While they do look bizarre, but when made right they’re sure to be a conversation starter at any Super Bowl Sunday party. Just remind the guests that this is in fact a savory treat, rather than a sweet one.

Contact Jonah Howells at howel2jm@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.

Jonah Howells is an avid dog petter and pop culture fanatic. He's the watcher on the walls and knows the names of all things. Jonah writes poems in his free time and hopes to one day finish the novel he has spent four years writing.