golden globes

Lady Gaga stunned in a Cinderella-esque Valentino gown with matching hair.

The 76th Golden Globe Awards kicked off the awards season Jan. 6. While everyone was excited to see who won, some viewers were equally anxious to see who wore what on the Red Carpet. All the guests looked amazing this year, but here are five celebrities who made a true fashion statement.

5. Constance Wu

After playing Rachel Chu in one of this year’s best comedies, “Crazy Rich Asians” star Constance Wu walked the Red Carpet wearing a nude colored dress with a tulle ball gown skirt and an orange ribbon designed by Vera Wang. The tulle skirt was elegant and the orange ribbon belt added a great pop of color. Her bodice was the only questionable part of her dress, which was sheer to the point where it was almost transparent. Still, Wu looked beautiful for this year’s event, which was also her first Golden Globes.

4.  Kristen Bell

The plunging neckline was a popular trend for the Golden Globes, but Kristen Bell’s Zuhair Murad dress wasn’t as dramatic as some of the others. “The Good Place” actress showed up in a simple light pink gown with a small and gentle flow at the bottom. Since there was a small amount of jewels on the dress, she added diamond earrings and cuffs for an additional effect. Most of the dresses with plunging necklines are mostly sparkles and sheer, but Bell had the right amount of elegance to make it subtle.

3. Kaley Cuoco

Big Bang Theory star Kaley Cuoco appeared as a presenter. Staying strong about the show coming to an end, she smiled for the cameras in a Monique Lhuillier gown with a blue, velvet strapless bodice and a white long skirt that came with pockets finished with a black satin bow. Since the dress was plain and simple, she added a pair of small earrings so the outfit had the right amount of sparkle. It was also a more tomboy style because her makeup wasn’t over the top and she wore sandals instead of heels or fancy dress shoes. This was a natural look and was a good dress decision for Cuoco because it was dapper but still had a female touch.

2. Regina King

The lead actress from “If Beale Street Could Talk” donned in a pink, custom Alberta Ferretti dress that sparkled throughout the night. Erin Silvia from Hollywood Life emphasized how simple her makeup and accessories were, which also gave King a natural look to not take the spotlight away from her dress.

1. Lady Gaga

For her second Golden Globes Red Carpet, lead actress from “A Star is Born,” Lady Gaga, was wearing one of the best gowns of the night. Gaga stepped onto the carpet in a light blue Valentino ball gown. The disconnected sleeves gave it a classy feel and her train required two people to carry it on the carpet. Elle compared it to Cinderella’s dress. She completed her dress with a Tiffany necklace and matched her hair color with the gown.

There was also some stylish selections for the male actors as well. GQ Magazine discussed some of the men wearing many popular designers such as Cartier, Alexander McQueen, Tom Ford and other fashion companies known for their suits. Two men who were on many best-dressed lists were Rami Malek (“Bohemian Rhapsody”) and Bradley Cooper (“A Star is Born”).

2. Bradley Cooper

Bradley Cooper changed his tuxedo decision by wearing a white suit and black bowtie designed by Gucci. It isn’t common to see a guy in a white tuxedo to a red carpet which made Cooper stand out from the other male nominees and presenters. He came to the show with his wife Irina Shayk. The paparazzi also pointed out how he had his hair slicked back and cleaned shaved, which is different from his character, Jackson, in “A Star is Born.”

1. Rami Malek

This was Malek’s third invitation to the Golden Globes and he won two awards (Best Actor in a Motion Picture and Best Motion Picture: Drama). He arrived at the show wearing a Givenchy tuxedo. While most men appeared in the classic black suit and black tie, Malek changed it up and decided on a black suit and a white tie. It was different than the other actors and worked for him.

Some of the men stood out to the press during the Red Carpet. Nadra Nera from Vox.com explained how three actors decided to “break the gender norm” by adding feminine touches to their outfits. Cody Fern (“American Horror Story: Apocalypse”) wore a sheer black top and eye shadow, Bill Porter (“American Horror Story: Apocalypse) had floral patterns to his suit with a cape that had a hot pink lining that he held out and Timothée Chalamet (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace”) chose to wear a sequin black harness instead of a coat and tie. In solidarity with the ladies, the men at the Golden Globes all looked amazing in their own way.

Last year, all the guests of the event wore either a black dress or a black tie as a reference to the #MeToo movement. This year, multiple people came wearing a pin or rubber bracelet with the phrase “Time’s Up” as a way to remember the various sexual assaults in the entertainment industry that were brought to light this past year. Sarah Aswell from Forbes commented that, “in many ways, this year’s Golden Globes felt like a microcosm of Hollywood in the wake of the Me Too and Time’s Up movements.”

Contact Gracie Brogowski at brogowsx@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.