Brooklyn

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”  has seven seasons and can be found on Hulu.

During quarantine, people may feel overwhelmed, whether it be from school or the feeling of not being productive enough. Sometimes, all one needs is a feel-good show to binge. Here are the top eight shows to watch while in quarantine, either on Hulu or Netflix.

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is a feel-good cop comedy. The show focuses on detective Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg) and other detectives in Brooklyn’s 99th precinct as they adjust to their new captain, Raymond Holt (Andre Braugher). Along with being hilarious, the show touches on more sensitive topics, such as sexual assault and racial profiling, all while maintaining its humorous vibe. “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” currently has seven seasons and is available to stream on Hulu. 

“Veronica Mars”

“Veronica Mars” is the definition of an angsty teen drama. Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) was once one of the most popular girls in the town of Neptune, California, but after a series of family traumas and the death of her best friend (Amanda Seyfried), she becomes an outcast to the popular kids. The series follows Veronica who teams up with her father (Enrico Colantoni), who’s a private investigator, to dig into the lives of the rich and famous in Neptune. The show has three original seasons, a movie from 2014 and a Hulu revival that aired last summer.

“One Tree Hill”

A classic high school drama, “One Tree Hill” focuses on the rivalry between half brothers, Nathan (James Lafferty) and Lucas Scott (Chad Michael Murray) in the small town of Tree Hill, North Carolina. But, the show’s about much more than basketball and sibling rivalry. “One Tree Hill” has crazy parent characters and great romances, and it doesn’t fall into the same trap of going downhill after the main characters graduate high school that so many other teen shows do. “One Tree Hill” has nine seasons and can be streamed on Hulu. 

“Shameless (U.S.)”

“Shameless” follows single father Frank Gallagher (William H. Macy) and his six children who navigate living on the South Side of Chicago. While Frank spends his free time drinking, the Gallagher children are led by the eldest, Fiona (Emmy Rossum). “Shameless” is a dramedy that accurately portrays life on the South Side, and each character undergoes amazing growth over the course of the show. “Shameless” is an adaptation of a British show of the same name. It has 10 seasons and can be streamed on Netflix. 

“The Vampire Diaries”

For those who want to watch a good throwback show during quarantine, “The Vampire Diaries” is perfect. It has every element a quality teen show needs: romance, a love triangle, action and vampires. “The Vampire Diaries” is set in Mystic Falls, Virginia and follows Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev) who recently lost her parents in a car crash, as she falls in love with a 162-year-old vampire, Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley). Her life becomes even more complicated when Stefan’s brother, Damon (Ian Somerhalder), arrives in Mystic Falls. “The Vampires Diaries” is based on the book series of the same name. It has eight seasons and can be streamed on Netflix.  

“The Office (U.S.)”

“The Office” is an all-time classic that’s perfect to binge-watch during quarantine. The documentary-style show follows the Scranton branch of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. Michael Scott (Steve Carrell) is the regional manager of the branch, and the show follows his dysfunctional style of running the office. The series is excellent if one needs a laugh. “The Office” has nine seasons and can be streamed on Netflix. 

“The Great British Baking Show” 

Unlike most intense American cooking shows, ”The Great British Baking Show” is wholesome and calming to watch. Each season has 12 bakers who compete for the title of Great Britain’s best baker. Each week has a different theme, such as bread, cakes or pastries. What makes the show so entertaining are judges Paul Hollywood and Merry Berry and hosts Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins, who are later replaced by Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding. “The Great British Baking Show” has 10 seasons and can be streamed on Netflix. 

“Drake and Josh”

“Drake and Josh” is perfect for those wanting to feel a little bit of nostalgia. Drake Parker (Drake Bell) and Josh Nichols (Josh Peck) are new stepbrothers and must figure out how to live with each other's opposite personalities. “Drake and Josh” follows the adventures the brothers go on while navigating living together and the pranks that their little sister, Megan (Miranda Cosgrove),  pulls on them. The show has four seasons and can be streamed on Hulu.   

With everything going on at the moment it can be easy to feel down or discouraged. Sometimes the best thing for these feelings is to sit down and binge a happy or nostalgic TV show. 

Contact Morgan Vuknic at vuknicma@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts, and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.