The Met Gala has become notorious for being the “who’s who” of fashion and prominence since 1948. Whether it be Amal Clooney in John Galliano and Rihanna in Guo Pei Couture or Beyonce in Givenchy and Kim Kardashian in Emilio Pucci in 2015, the clothes are stunning — especially when going up the 28 steep stairs to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Aside from being the biggest fashion event of the year, the Met Gala raises money for the Costume Institute Exhibit in New York City on the first Monday of May. Put on by Anna Wintour, Vogue’s editor-in-chief, as well as Rihanna, Donatella Versace and Amal Clooney as this year’s co-hosts, the gala’s theme of “Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination” aims to honor the role of the Catholic Church in fashion. While controversial and provocative in its nature, these stars surely impressed. Here are my favorite looks from the 2018 Met Gala.

Zendaya

Zendaya took it back to the Middle Ages with her Joan of Arc imitation in Versace. With the armored details around the shoulders and same short haircut, Zendaya revamped Joan of Arc as glamorous. 

Amber Heard

Perhaps one of my favorite looks of the night was Heard in Carolina Herrera. The golden-spiked halo was the perfect complement to the fiery-red dress, which was conservative in the front with a high neckline yet open in the back.

Irinia Shayk

Although she had Bradley Cooper on her arm, Shayk’s real head turner was the elaborate beading on her shimmery gown. While tight atop, the dress flows into a wispy, feathery train, making one wonder if wings would sprout at any moment.

Rihanna

Rihanna inspired the “Take Me To Church” in all of us, donning the Pope’s headdress in Maison Margiela Artisanal. With the white beaded corset, crucifix necklace and bleached eyebrows, she further established herself as a fashion icon.

Lilly Collins

Collins’ black-and-white Givenchy ensemble with a rosary in hand and slicked-back hairstyle paired with a metal headpiece worked well for the theme. The mesh layering on her skirt added a sense of darkness to the innocent nun look, creating a statement that went with her bold lipstick and blood-red teardrop on her cheek.

Diane Kruger

Although one would assume Kruger is well-versed in the world of style as a former fashion model, she took modern-day angelic to a new level. In addition to the headpiece trend, the dramatic train established what initially looks like a minimalistic blue dress into a masterpiece by Prabal Gurung. With the veil on her face — complete with jewels and pearls throughout — Kruger has surpassed what it means to be a trendsetter.

Rita Ora

From the elegant train to the multi-colored sequins, bedazzled sequin gloves and the Iron Throne-esque headpiece, Ora shined in Prada. The touch of yellow with the clutch added a sense of regality to her look, which was only accentuated by the rosy lipstick.

Sarah Jessica Parker

To say her dress was “gold” and “embellished” is an understatement. With the cathedral train, a crown with the nativity scene within and scattered red hearts all over, the devotion to the Catholic theme is clear and adored — especially by a classic “Sex and the City” fan such as myself.

Cardi B

Wearing Moschino with designer Jeremy Scott on her arm reminded us all that her famous lyric of “diamonds all over my body” was not a joke.Stunning with both her baby bump and jeweled headdress, Cardi B makes a statement and lets the ball gown train sweep after her.

Olivia Munn

Continuing the accessories trend, Olivia Munn wore a gold H&M dress with a chain mail atop her head. According to The New York Times, it wasinspired by the Crusades and she had to be sewn into the dress on the way to the gala. Talk about dedication.

Gigi Hadid

According to Hadid’s Instagram story, Donatella Versace personally reached out to her Monday to tell her to enjoy Hadid’s newest addition to the collection, hinting she was in fact wearing Versace to the gala. Hadid’s dress included stain-glass window-like detail, with a high slit and one dress sleeve adding just the right amount of sultriness.

From Cristóbal Balenciaga to Donatella Versace, the 2018 Met Gala introduced how religion influences fashion even in the modern era. With A-list stars to show it off, it also provides thoroughly colorful entertainment.  

Contact Sabrina Moreno at thebreezeculture@gmail.com. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.