LIFE-HBY-COMICS-1-MCT

Just like in “Infinity War,” characters are grouped together in interesting pairings never seen before.

Buckle up for this one. If viewers thought “Infinity War” was an intense movie, “Avengers: Endgame” ramps it up even more. To avoid spoilers, the plot surrounds the remaining Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy working to undo Thanos’ (Josh Brolin) actions while learning to cope with them in the meantime. The film has a thrilling plot with emotional highs, a heaping dose of nostalgia, several callbacks to previous films sprinkled throughout and exhilarating action to make the perfect movie.

Just like in “Infinity War,” characters are grouped together in interesting pairings never seen before. The brains of Iron Man (Tony Stark), Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) and Rocket (Bradley Cooper) come together to form cool ideas involving the science and mechanics of certain tools along with humorous banter. Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) serve as the immense brawn the team willl need if they can locate Thanos and the ingenuity of Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) and others helps the team stay on their feet. Each character’s interactions show unique combinations of abilities during fights and feel natural for each character’s progression.

References to previous films are made more often than usual as the group attempts to understand the nature of the stones as much as possible. This leads to some entertaining recaps of previous movies including “Thor: The Dark World” and “The Avengers.” These also show certain scenes and events from different angles than the original movies, giving a new perspective to how certain events took place. Some references are subtle, including music and audio cues from their respective films. Unexpected cameos are made for these as well, including some who survived the snap, making even more special connections for the fans. They received some payoff from the 11 years of movies.

Thanos proves himself to still be a formidable and terrifying villain despite the damage he previously took from the Infinity Gauntlet. Every scene involving him causes distress and anxiety as there’s always the question of if he might kill someone in battle. While he’s intimidating — and fighting him requires everything each hero has in them just to stay alive — his fights can’t help but bring smiles to the faces of fans and long-time comic fans as special moments are brought about due to his presence.

“Avengers: Endgame” is a massive tribute to 11 years and 21 movies that feels intimate in every way and doesn’t disappoint from beginning to end, the movie works the audience into an emotional frenzy that’s impossible to predict. Enjoy the ride while it’s here and for once, everyone is free to leave the theater early with no credits scenes. Don’t forget to bring tissues — this one’s a major tearjerker throughout. ‘Nuff said.

Contact Caleb Barbachem at barbaccf@dukes.jmu.edu. For more on the culture, arts and lifestyle of the JMU and Harrisonburg communities, follow the culture desk on Twitter @Breeze_Culture.

Caleb Barbachem is a writer for the Culture section of The Breeze. He’s a finance major. He can often be found in Carrier Library or wandering around campus aimlessly.