CoB_new

The renovations to Showker Hall and the new CoB Learning Complex will cost $99,235,000. 

The College of Business Learning Complex found another donor and landed a name.

Alumnus James (’70, ’00P) and Carolyn (’00P) Hartman put their permanent stamp on the school by landing the naming rights to the state-of-the-art complex now known as Hartman Hall, CoB announced Friday.

The Hartmans, admiring the CoB’s international standing and conscious of the need for a new space, were able to provide the gift that they “had been wanting to make” by selling their trucking business in September, according to a university press release. The move reflects the two Rockingham residents’ philanthropic spirit and generous past contributions to the school.

The couple share a deep connection with the school. After graduating in 1970, Jim described the university as the foundation for his success. In the years since, Jim befriended JMU’s former president Linwood H. Rose and went on to serve on JMU's Board of Visitors. 

Committed Dukes, the Hartmans habitually come to watch sporting events, from softball to football. Now, when they sit in Bridgeforth Stadium, they’ll be able to see the building they named.

“I think back to when I was in school here 50 years ago, and we didn’t have any really neat places to study or these incredible other assets of this building,” Jim said in the press release. “We are just thrilled that today’s students do have those to use and benefit from.”

Filip De Mott is a junior media arts and design and international affairs double major. Contact Filip at demottfs@dukes.jmu.edu.