CityCouncil (copy)

Federal aid is on its way to 78 businesses in Harrisonburg.

Federal help is on the way for Harrisonburg-based businesses hit hard by the pandemic.

The City of Harrisonburg will award 78 businesses federal recovery grants totaling $418,700 in the coming days, a City press release announced Tuesday.

Harrisonburg Economic Development accepted grant applications for businesses impacted by pandemic-induced lockdowns after issuing $100,000 in forgivable loans earlier this year.

The grants range from $4,000-10,000, depending on the size of the business, and are made possible by the bipartisan Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act passed in late March.

“I am so glad City Council appropriated CARES Act funding to help our small businesses negatively impacted by COVID-19,” Harrisonburg Economic Development Director Brian Shull said in the release. “It is our hope that these cash grants will help these businesses cover a portion of the expenses they have incurred because of the pandemic.” 

An additional round of grant funding with looser eligibility requirements will take place in the coming weeks, per the release.

James Faris is a senior media arts and design major. Contact James at breezembr@gmail.com.

“Don’t try and be right, try and get it right.” This might be a simple phrase, but to a journalist, it represents the essential core beliefs that the profession stands for. The truth is out there, we just have to be willing to search for it.