copper beech

Copper Beech won The Breeze's 2019 Best of the 'Burg's best place to live. 

When deciding to move off campus or from another university, the task of finding the best place to live can be challenging. Top concerns for students looking to live off-campus are cost and amenities, which is why Copper Beech Townhomes was voted the best place to live off campus in the 2019 Best of the ’Burg survey. 

According to Audrey Antoniello, a senior communication studies major, Copper Beech has an abundance of amenities and spacious floor plans. Outside, residents have access to two large swimming pools, two basketball courts and a sand volleyball court that brings the community together. In the clubhouse, residents can relax and enjoy a modern lounge area, kitchenette, computer lab, fitness center, tanning beds and a game room with a pool table. 

Antoniello has lived in her Copper Beech townhome for two years and recommends it to every prospective resident she comes across. She said the community and residential life at Copper is “friendly and fun.” 

“The community here is awesome,” Antoniello said. “People throw footballs on the grass areas, dog walkers always stop and chat and the pool is always a great time for residents to come together. I go to the gym almost everyday and I love using the tanning beds, and I often take advantage of the free coffee in the clubhouse.”

In addition to the amenities, Copper Beech also has a variety of townhomes. Although utilities costs aren’t included, townhomes come with cable and air conditioning and all residents have access to printing and computer use in the clubhouse. Several efforts were made to reach out to Copper Beech’s regional manager for an interview; however, The Breeze never received a response. 

“The main reason why I chose to live in Copper was the price,” Paige Ridge, a senior communication sciences and disorders major and resident at Copper Beech, said. “You get so much space for a reasonable price, and there’s always free food and coffee in the clubhouse. Maintenance is always quick to fix any problem, and the groundskeepers always make sure that the area is clean and presentable.”

Copper Beech brings in prospective residents by offering a thorough tour of the clubhouse, gym and a model home. The model home is open during regular business hours, and there’s always an employee there to welcome and help prospective residents.

“I went to the clubhouse to get some information about Copper Beech and they sent someone from the office to give me a tour,” Gage Waltner, a junior engineering major and resident at Copper, said. “They even gave me a free shirt.”

Contact Jessica Klonaris at klonarjv@dukes.jmu.edu. For more coverage of JMU and Harrisonburg news, follow the news desk on Twitter @BreezeNewsJMU.