• March 30, 2015

Suspect caught in larceny case - The Breeze: News

Suspect caught in larceny case

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 3:13 pm, Sun Feb 17, 2013.

Police have arrested one of two suspects involved in a credit card theft and larceny case.

On Feb. 8, police obtained warrants for Michael Andrew Webb, 20, of Churchville, Va., and Joshua Russel Ranking, 35, of Staunton, for the theft and larceny of credit cards and using the cards to purchase items.

In October, the suspects broke into several cars in Harrisonburg and stole credit cards, police said. They reportedly used the cards to purchase items at two Harrisonburg Walmarts. Lt. Chris Rush of the Harrisonburg Police said most of the items purchased were electronic devices.

The Walmart security cameras captured images of one of the suspects leaving and driving away in a silver or gray car.

Webb is being charged with 42 felony counts for various offenses, including 21 counts of conspiracy to commit a felony and two misdemeanour counts of entering a vehicle with the intent to commit a crime. He’s being held at the Middle River Regional Jail.

Police are still searching for Rankin. Rankin is being charged with 40 felony counts for several offenses, including 20 counts of conspiracy to commit a felony and two misdemeanour counts for entering a car with the intent to commit a crime.

Rankin is described as a white male with medium-length dark hair, a dark beard and glasses.

Police encourage anyone with information regarding the case or the whereabouts of Rankin to anonymously call Crime Solvers at 540-574-5050.

To prevent credit card theft, Rush advises that people first ensure that their cards are safe and secure. He also suggested that they keep a list of all their credit card numbers in a separate place.

If they should find that their credit cards are stolen, Rush said they should contact the police immediately along with the credit card companies.

The Federal Trade Commission also recommends saving your receipts to compare with your bank statement for any errors.

Contact IJ Chan at breeznews@gmail.com.

More about

More about