• March 4, 2015

Gently Down a Secluded Stream, Life is but a Dream - The Breeze: Home

Gently Down a Secluded Stream, Life is but a Dream

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:00 am

As the weather gets warmer, what could be better than standing in the middle of a private spot, enjoying the delights of nature?

At Smith Creek, about 30 minutes from JMU, there is a one-mile stretch of water known as Susie Q Farm. Fishermen delight in this secret spot mostly because of its solitude from the rest of the world. Only four rods are allowed on this stretch of the creek per day.

Susie Q Farm is only one of four private waters in the area.

To fish on this property, fishermen must visit the Mossy Creek Fly Fishing Store, operated by Brian and Colby Trow, on East Market Street.

Owner, founder, and 2002 JMU grad, Colby Trow, said, “I’ve been fishing since I was a kid. When I graduated from JMU we had the opportunity to start our own business, and we took advantage of that.”

Trow takes more than 200 trips per year all around the area. “April, May, and June are the best time of the year to fish,” Trow said. “These months have the most water and the fish are the most active due to increased water temperatures.”

The store provides fishing equipment, literary guides, guide services and wade trips for local water.

Some of the local waters included in these wade trips are spring creeks or big freestone streams, private water, or float trips on the James River or Shenandoah River for smallmouth bass.

The Mossy Creek Fly Fishing Store boasts of being in the middle of what has been recently named “one of the top 10 vacation spots in the country” by Money Magazine.

Fly fishing classes are also available through the shop’s Orvis-endorsed Fly Fishing School, either in Harrisonburg or at Wintergreen Resort. These classes cover beginners through experts.

There is a price tag. Susie Q Farm costs $60 a day per person. However, the serenity and peacefulness of the private stream more than makes up for it.

If you’re looking for a less costly fishing experience, move outside the private waters.

Mossy Creek, spanning eight miles from the village of Mt. Solon to its confluence with the North River, offers a four-mile section open to the public. All that’s needed is a free permit, which is allocated at the Verona office of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

The Shenandoah National Park also offers around 800 miles of fishable streams open to the public. The only cost is a fishing license.

So get away for the day, and experience all the water the area has to offer.

Contact Rachel Dozier at : dozierra@jmu.edu